Huntingdon rugby club (the Stags) was established by a couple of dozen rugby enthusiasts in Autumn 1935. The ground was then at Sapley and the clubhouse was The Platelayers Arms. The Stags nickname derives from the deer that roamed at Port Holme, the largest water meadow in England.
After the war the Club did not re-form until 1951; they then played at Hinchingbrooke where the hospital now stands ; the clubhouse was The Woolpack in Godmanchester.
The 1960s saw an expansion on the playing side when 4 or 5 sides were put out and, in 1965, the club moved to play at Huntingdon racecourse, its home for the next 30 years.
The 1970s was a period of steady consolidation. 1975 saw the establishment of the vets team, the Staggerers, in 1977 the extension to the clubhouse was opened and the 1978-79 season saw the 1st XV winning 31 of the 37 games played.
A feature of the social side are the sportsmans dinner and the annual ball and , in the 70s and 80s, tours to faraway places including New York ( 1979 ), the Bahamas ( 1980), Kenya ( 1981), and the Seychelles ( 1986).
At the inception of league rugby Stags were placed in East Midlands 1. The mid 1990s saw a succession of promotions resulting in participation at level 6 of the rugby union pyramid, an achievement equalled in 2013-14 and subsequent years
In 1995 the Club left the racecourse for 14 years, returning in 2009, though now to the extremity of the site. At the start of this century a mini section was formed and, with just a few exceptions, the club runs sides from age 6 to colts. The minis and juniors are an established element of the Club and have achieved many notable successes in age group competitions over the past 15 years.
Hitherto, location upheavals have occurred in 30 year cycles; the Club hopes that 2025, the last year of the current cycle, will see it established, for the first time, in a long term permanent home.